Book Recommendations

• Administrators

Saw some people discussing books in the Discord earlier today, figured why not make a thread for book recommendations.

You can recommend any programming-related material, but you should probably mention the language (and maybe framework) that it targets for each suggestion so I can create a catalogue that we can use.

You can use this format:

Name:
Author:
ISBN:
Why:

Language-agnostic

Name: Clean Code
Author: Robert Cecil Martin
ISBN: 9780132350884
Recommended by: _Rick
Why: A great practical book on writing clean, concise, understandable code and knowing what makes the difference. This book is on my re-read list every year or so because the concepts it goes through are timeless and make you painfully aware of the corners you're cutting 😂

Name: Code complete
Author: Steve McConnell
ISBN: 978-0735619678 (2nd edition)
Recommended by: Toma
Why:  A must have for any software developer. It's focus is on project construction(coding, unit testing, debugging , etc.) and it has a lot of great examples for every chapter. It's a pretty big book  (900+ pages), but it's not the one where you have to read  cover to cover. Just like Clean code, it's a good one to have close to you so you can reread different chapters.

Haskell (Functional Programming)

Name: Learn You A Haskell (Click to read for free)
Author: Miran Lipovača
ISBN: 9781593272838
Recommended by: _Rick
Why: At a time I wanted to dive into functional programming with Haskell, which I found very difficult conceptually, and the literature on it was very technical and quite boring. Then I came across this book, which is pretty fun to read through.

C++

If there's one book that I'd recommend from a sea of C++ books it's this one.

Name: Effective Modern C++
Author: Scott Meyers
ISBN: 978-1491903995 
Why:  Scott Meyers does a great job of explaining modern C++ (11+) as clear and concise as possible.  Lots of examples on usage of modern features and also some of the pitfalls that you can get yourself into (some not so obvious).
If you wanna get into C++ this book is a must have next to Bjarne's bible. Can't recommend more.

• Like 1

+1 for Clean Code

Here are my recommendations.

Language-agnostic

Name: Code complete
Author: Steve McConnell
ISBN: 978-0735619678 (2nd edition)
Why:  A must have for any software developer. It's focus is on project construction(coding, unit testing, debugging , etc.) and it has a lot of great examples for every chapter. It's a pretty big book  (900+ pages), but it's not the one where you have to read  cover to cover. Just like Clean code, it's a good one to have close to you so you can reread different chapters.

C++

If there's one book that I'd recommend from a sea of C++ books it's this one.

Name: Effective Modern C++
Author: Scott Meyers
ISBN: 978-1491903995 
Why:  Scott Meyers does a great job of explaining modern C++ (11+) as clear and concise as possible.  Lots of examples on usage of modern features and also some of the pitfalls that you can get yourself into (some not so obvious).
If you wanna get into C++ this book is a must have next to Bjarne's bible. Can't recommend more.

• Like 1

Java / Go / Node / Python

Name: gRPC: Up and Running
Author: Kasun Indrasiri, Danesh Kuruppu
ISBN: 9781492058335
Recommended by: Swatarianess
Why: Help learn about high-performance interprocess communication protocal. Specifically when it comes to dealing with microservice development.

Java

Name: Continuous Delivery in Java
Author: Daniel Bryant, Abraham Marín-Pérez
ISBN: 9781491986028
Why: Good for understanding software delivery lifecycle. Work smarter, not harder.

Name: Java 8 Lambdas
Author: Richard Warburton ~ O'Reilly Media, Inc
ISBN: 9781449370770
Why: Lambdas will allow you to create nice clean code. It will allow you to create simple, clean, library-level code to solve business problems.

Name: Java Cookbook, 4th Edition
Author: Ian F. Darwin
ISBN: 9781492072584
Why: Goes through the basics and fundamentals, will help you learn useful techniques for everything from string handling, and functional programming, to network communication. It also touches on Java 12, 13, 14.

Name: Java in a Nutshell, 7th Edition
Author: Ben Evans, David Flanagan
ISBN: 9781492037255
Why: Covers fundamentals from java 9 to 11. Has a lot of examples, and covers a majority of the modern Java APIs, and goes through best practices, including amterial on Java concurrency utilities (the dreaded concurrency).

Name: Java™ Performance
Author: Charlie Hunt Binu John ~ Addison-Wesley Professional
ISBN: 9780132905244
Why: For learning specifically how java can utilize multicore/multiprocessor hardware.

Name: Java Threads, 3rd Edition
Author: Scott Oaks, Henry Wong
ISBN: 9780596007829
Why: General coverage over; Lock starvation & deadlock detection, Atomic classes and minimal synchronization (J2SE 5.0), Interaction of Java threads with Swing, I/O, and Collection classes, programmatically controlled locks and condition variables (J2SE 5.0), Thread performance and security, Thread pools (J2SE 5.0), Thread groups, Platform-specific threading scheduling, Task schedulers (J2SE 5.0), and parallelizing loops for multiprocessor machines.

Name: Learning Java, 5th Edition
Author:  Marc Loy, Patrick Niemeyer, Daniel Leuck ~ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
ISBN: 9781492056270
Why: General book for beginners to learn about Java's built-in features.

Name: 97 Things Every Java Programmer Should Know
Author: Kevlin Henney, Trisha Gee
ISBN: 9781491952696
Why: Useful for glancing over, for learning new techniques.

Name: Real-World Software Development
Author: Raoul-Gabriel Urma, Richard Warburton ~ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
ISBN: 9781491967171
Why: Generally good book on improving software development techniques and methodoliges through project-based approach. Including topics: functional programming, automated testing, security, architecture, and distributed systems.

Name: Think Java, 2nd Edition
Author: Allen B. Downey, Chris Mayfield ~ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
ISBN: 9781492072508
Why: Covers all the topics required for AP Computer Science A exam, and Java SE Programmer I certification.

Language-agnostic

Name: Semantic Software Design
Author: Eben Hewitt
ISBN: 9781492045953
Why: (Currently reading it) Practical book that helps learn set of patterns for the practice of architecture, analysis, documentation, and communication.

Name: Technology Strategy Patterns
Author: Eben Hewitt ~ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
ISBN: 9781492040873
Why: Contains 39 patterns which could come in handy.

Kotlin

Name: Kotlin Cookbook
Author: Ken Kousen ~ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
ISBN: 9781492046677
Why: General book to learn about kotlin. Includes: functional programming concepts, lambdas, srquences, concurrency, how to use delegates, late initialization, scope function, java interoperability, access java library using kotlin, extension functions, JUnit 5, and practical advice for specific frameworks.

Language-agnostic

Name: OpenDSA : https://opendsa-server.cs.vt.edu/ODSA/Books/Everything/html/
Author: OpenDSA Project
ISBN: - 
Recommended by: Ieeb
Why: Interactive "book" that focuses mainly on Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA), which obviously is kind of a big deal. There are interactive quizzes for each chapter and sub-chapter where you can apply what you've learned. I've read this book for a course in c++ i took this semester and i really enjoyed it!